World Environment Day 2019
This year the theme is “Air Pollution”.
What causes Air Pollution?
Air pollution may seem complex, but we can all do our part to reduce some of it. Understanding the different types of pollution, and how it affects our health and environment will help us take steps towards improving the air around us.
What Can I Do to Help Reduce Air Pollution?
- Conserve energy: Remember to turn off lights, computers, and electric appliances when not in use.
- Use energy efficient light bulbs and appliances
- Participate in your local utility’s energy conservation programs
- Biking and walking
- Combine errands for fewer trips
- Keep your car well tuned and maintained.
- Drive electric or plug-in hybrid electric vehicles
- Use electric or hand-powered lawn care equipment
- Be careful not to spill gasoline when filling up your car or gasoline-powered lawn and garden equipment
- Run dishwashers and clothes washers only when full
- Choose environmentally friendly cleaners
- Use water-based or solvent-free paints whenever possible and buy products that say “low VOC”
- Seal containers of household cleaners, workshop chemicals, and solvents, and garden chemicals to prevent volatile organic compounds from evaporating into the air
- Purchase and use low-polluting outboard marine engines and personal watercraft